So I thought I'd put together a little hot chocolate guide for any fellow readers who can't get enough liquid cocoa. Marshmallows optional.
Nutella Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Nutella
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa
- Tiny pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk all ingredients together until well blended and hot.
- Pour in a cup and top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
Whipped Hot Chocolate
For the chocolate -
- 2 cups milk 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/4 sweet ground cocoa
For the whipped cream -
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place a mixing bowl in the freezer. (You'll get it out in a sec for the whipped cream.)
- In a pot, pour milk, vanilla extract and sweet ground cocoa, turn heat to medium and whisk all ingredients together until smooth and chocolaty.
- Turn temperature down to low and let simmer.
- Get bowl from the freezer and pour in the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar.
- Use a kitchen mixer or whisk by hand and whip, whisk, beat.
- Turn stove off and pour the hot chocolate into mugs, about 1/2 to 3/4 full. Then spoon in big heaps of the whipped cream.
Dairy-free Hot Chocolate
- 2-3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can also use coconut milk for an extra rich drink)
- 3 tbsp cacao or carob powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar or coconut syrup
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Mexican Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2 percent) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried red chile
- 2 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whisk evaporated milk, whole milk, liqueur, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, 1 tsp of cinnamon and chili powder in a heavy saucepan.
- Add 2 of the cinnamon sticks and chili and cook gently over medium-low heat until warm.
- Add chocolate and cook, whisking until melted.
- Gently bring to a high simmer; reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens and reduces slightly, whisking often, 10 minutes.
- Combine heavy cream with remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon and beat until peaks form.
- Ladle 1/3 cup hot cocoa each into 8 teacups; top each with 1 tbsp whipped cream and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Easy Peasy Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups cocoa
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- Whole milk for serving
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Store the mixture in an airtight container.
- For individual servings, pour 1 cup whole milk into a microwave-safe mug, and microwave on high just until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix, and stir to dissolve. For a larger batch of cocoa, warm the milk in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil; as it warms, stir in 2 tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk.